Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Moving tenants - Decant Policy

The Council as a landlord is obliged under the terms of its tenancy agreement to keep the structure and outside of its tenanted properties, including communal areas in good repair.

Improvement works including major repairs will normally be carried out whilst the tenant remains in their home. There may be situations, such as those when the health and safety of the tenant would be at risk or the works are extensive, when works cannot be carried out with the tenant at the property. Where this is the case, we will arrange to move the tenant and their household.This process is referred to as decanting and this will be done on either a temporary or permanent basis, depending on the nature of the works.

Details of how the decant process works can be found in the Decant Policy.