Street naming and numbering
We assign addresses (street names and property numbers) to new build developments. We can also amend addresses where there is a problem. Street names and numbers help the postal and emergency services.
You can apply online for:
- street naming and numbering of new properties and developments
- amending street names or numbers of existing properties
- naming a house or amending a house name.
There is no charge for assigning street names and numbers to new properties. Amendments to street names or numbers are charged for. You can pay online by debit or credit card through our ePayment system.
When we have received your application we will contact you within 3 working days to arrange payment. You can find the link to make a payment for your application further on in this web page.
For large sites with multiple plots we require a plan to be submitted with the request form. All plans must include the following:
- total number of plots
- proposed street name
- types of property
- for flats include number of storeys and flats per storey
- door access to street
- site boundary
- access road
- north arrow
- plot numbers.
You can also apply by email by downloading and completing the forms from the related documents section of this web page. Completed forms should be returned by:
- email: email@example.com.
Street naming and numbering fees
|Service||From 1 April 2023|
|Individual house name / Individual House re-name or re-number including notification||£113|
Development re-number due to change in plot numbers, or plot positions including notification
£113 per plot requiring re-numbering
Rename of street where requested by residents including notification
£347 plus £113 per property
|Service||From 1 April 2023|
|Assign number/Name of new properties||No charge|
|Notification number/Name of new properties (up to 5 properties)||£75 per plot|
|Notification number/Name of new properties (6 or more properties)||£75 per plot for the
first 11 then £45 for
each additional plot
|Additional charge, where this includes naming of a street||£225 per street|
|Additional charge where this includes the naming of a building
(e.g. block of flats)
|£225 per block|
Pay for street naming and numbering
If you want us to notify third parties of the details we do charge, you can find details of our fees, including the price increase from 1 April 2022, in the fees documents in the related documents section of this web page.
You can pay online through our online payment system using a debit or credit card.
Local Authorities are the only people who can amend your address (with the exception of Royal Mail, who can amend a property's postcode). There may be private companies that claim to be able to process the request for you. It is more cost effective and efficient to contact your Local Authority directly, rather than using a third-party organisation to make the changes for you.
Street naming and numbering notifications
To see if a notification has been issued, please search for the address using the map:
Postcodes are issued by the Post Office once we request this from them.
Commercial properties are assigned postcodes in the same way as residential premises or a business can apply directly for a large use code.
Organisations informed of new or changed addresses
These are the organisations we will inform of a new or changed address for you, but only when you have requested the notification service.
- Royal Mail Address Development Team
- Nottinghamshire Police
- Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue
- East Midlands Ambulance Service
- Nottinghamshire County Council LSG
- Valuation Office Agency
- Land Registry Nottingham Office
- Central Networks
- Severn Trent
- British Telecom
- NLPG Hub
- LLPG Custodian
- Land Charges Section
- Council Tax Billing
- Development Control
- Building Control
- Elections Officer
- Waste Management
- Highways Services
- Legal Section
- Environmental Health
- Customer Services
No charge will be levied against these bodies for receiving the postal address information.
Street naming and numbering terms and conditions
1. All requests must be completed on the appropriate form which is available via email request or on this page
2. All fees must be paid prior to notification being sent.
3. Should the requestor only wish to be issued with new street names and numbers, this service is provided free of charge.
4. Postal codes remain the responsibility of Royal Mail.
5. Ashfield District Council can only issue street naming and numbering schemes contained within the district boundary.
6. All street naming and numbering schemes will be issued in accordance with the ADC street naming and numbering policy.
7. Any queries or complaints should be directed to:
Corporate Information Analyst
Ashfield District Council
Kirkby in Ashfield
- telephone: 01623 457134
Contact us about street naming and numbering
You can also contact us to apply for street names or property numbering by:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- telephone: 01623 457281.