Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Which properties require a licence?

Types of properties

All private rented properties within a designated Selective Licensing area will need to be licensed.

If the property is a self contained flat within a block, then each rented flat must be licensed.

If the property is a shared house and there fewer than 5 tenants then just one licence is needed, individual residents do not need their own licence. If the shared house contains 5 or more tenants forming more than 1 household, the property is classed as a large house in multiple occupation and a HMO licence is needed.

Properties exempt from licensing

The legislation allows certain properties to be exempt from licensing. These properties include:

The Selective Licensing of Houses (Specified Exemptions) (England) Order 2006

  • Those managed or controlled by Registered Social Landlords or local housing authorities.
  • Buildings regulated by other legislation such as Mandatory HMO licensing.
  • Holiday lets.
  • Tenancies under a certain long lease
  • Business tenancies or where the council has taken action to close the property.
  • Homes occupied by close relatives of the owner.

If you feel you are exempt from licensing please complete a Licence Exemption Form, where you can state your reasons for the exemption. In all these circumstances you will need to provide evidence of the arrangement and the reason for your exemption. Further enquiries will then be made to determine the exemption.

If we do not agree that the property is exempt, you will be asked to apply for a licence.

Next section:

Previous section: