What Ashfield has to offer to business
Businesses come to Ashfield because we have access to a skilled workforce of 78,000 people and a further 1 million plus people within an hour’s drive (NOMIS 2021).
There is also a cluster of higher education institutions with 7 universities nearby producing world-leading research and 39,020 skilled graduates each year (HESA data, 2019 to 2020). In addition to the skilled graduates the area produces, Ashfield has a fast-growing young population, with 5365 16 to 25 year-olds (NOMIS data 2019).
Strategic transport links
Large companies are attracted to Ashfield because of the close location to strategic transport links, combined with a competitive labour market. Businesses in Ashfield are situated at the heart of the motorway, with easy access to and from the M1, A1(M), A38. With 87% of the UK population reachable within 4 hours’ drive time; that’s millions of customers, suppliers, and connections right on your doorstep.
Future investment plans
Add to this, future investment plans, the centre piece of which is a new automated distribution and manufacturing centre, which will become a national centre of excellence. It will focus on promoting and providing access to the latest technologies and best practice in automated distribution and help businesses to become more competitive on the global stage.
£100 million plus will be invested over the next 5 years on projects in Ashfield such as:
- New Automated distribution and manufacturing centre
- New Robotics centre
- New Construction and civil engineering education centre
- New Library innovation centres
- New Planetarium and science discovery centre
- New Water sports Leisure Facility
- New transport infrastructures
- New Health hub and Sports hubs
- Multiple town centre transformation projects – for Kirkby in Ashfield and Sutton in Ashfield