Skip to sub navigation Skip to main content

Council Tax rebate 2022

Due to the rising energy costs the Government recently announced a one off payment of “£150 Council Tax Rebate” for certain households to help towards the higher energy bills. More information about the rebate is available on the government website.

Please note:

This rebate will be paid to you as a separate payment into your bank account and is not included in your Council Tax bill.

If you live in a property in Bands A to D

If you are a householder living in a band A to D property on 1 April 2022 you will qualify for this rebate. Some properties are exempt from receiving the £150 payment, for example because it is a second home or unoccupied.

If you don’t know which band your property is in, you can find it on your latest Council Tax bill or use the Valuation Office website to check.

If you pay your Council Tax by direct debit

If you already pay your Council Tax bill by direct debit then we will pay the £150 directly into your bank account in April. The first round of payments to over 30,000 households, who pay their Council Tax by direct debit, have been made. Once your first Council Tax payment for 2022/23 is paid by direct debit then we will use those bank details to process the payment straight into your bank account.

How to claim your £150 Council Tax rebate - Bands A to D

(If you don't pay your Council Tax by direct debit)

To claim your Council Tax rebate you will need to complete an online form to provide us with your bank account details so that we can pay the £150 directly into your bank. Using the online form is the fastest way for you to receive your £150 payment.

It is important that you complete the form in full before submitting it. If there are errors or missing information, you will have to wait longer to receive your payment as we will need to check this information.

We are required to undertake some checks on the information that you provide; this is to make sure the details are correct and that they apply to the person who is entitled to receive the £150 payment.

If you don't pay for your Council Tax by direct debit, please complete this online form to claim your rebate:

Council Tax rebate form for Properties A to D Only

If you complete this form and live in a Band E to H property, your application will not be considered. You need to complete the correct form, links given on Discretionary scheme page.

The rebate does not mean you don't need to pay your Council Tax bill - you must continue to pay your Council Tax bill by the amounts and on the dates shown on your bill.

Discretionary Scheme - For residents living in properties within Bands E to H

The discretionary scheme is for residents living in properties in bands E to H and still need help.

There is some additional funding available to help households who do not qualify under the main scheme (properties in bands E to H).

To apply for funding and access the online application forms, please visit the Discretionary scheme page: